Sunday 4 June 2017

Emotions



Have you ever had one of those weeks? I'm sure you have. You know, the kind of week that leaves you feeling exhausted emotionally; trampled. We may have felt physically exhausted from time to time, but emotional exhaustion is quite different; and it can also affect us physically. 

There are so many emotions that can overwhelm us, if we let them. Maybe we feel angry because of the injustice and cruelty in the world; sadness because of suffering and loss; fear of the unknown; shame because of bad decisions or mistakes made; heartbreak because of dishonesty or deception. All of these emotions are part of what makes us real human beings that have feelings, living daily in an imperfect world; not emotionless robots, simply going through the motions of day to day activities. And, although difficult to experience, I believe these emotions God has equipped us with, serve a greater purpose in making us wiser, stronger and more courageous individuals who, like plants in a garden, continue to grow.
Gerbera Daisies
As Gandhi said, "If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him...."  It starts, one person at a time.

If we prayerfully allow them, these negative emotions, through the presence of the Holy Spirit, can help us seek more of the things we would like to see in the world: "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control".  (Galatians 5:22-23) These are the fruit of the Spirit; and I am thankful that God, in His loving faithfulness towards us, is always pursuing the cultivation and growth of this fruit within us. 

God Bless!

Joyful Hope

(Matthew 5:16)

© 2017 JOYFUL HOPE  
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

2 comments:

  1. Hello, and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comment! Yes, emotions can be overwhelming at times, can't they? I have had my share of days when all I could do was cry...and this is hard thing o do when you're at work! Thank goodness work with just one other person most of the time and my boss is not in my office...lol! Seriously though, God made us with every emotion that we have and He understands. I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit who ministers to me and understands it all. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Debby! (Sorry I'm so long to respond...More on that in my next blog post.)

    As we celebrate on both sides of the border, I wish you and your family a blessed holiday long weekend.

    ReplyDelete